Wednesday, January 20, 2010

My PMP journey (2009)

Cleared PMP exam yesterday
Hello All,I cleared my PMP exam yesterday. Would like to thank all who have helped me, supported me and encouraged me during the 9 month ordeal.I have immensely benefitted from information shared by other successful PMP's. Hence will also like to share some information about my exam preparation.

Why I wanted to opt for PMP?

I was working closely with PM's in my earlier role (as Service Delivery Manager) and was fascinated by the authority, attention to detail of PM's and always wanted to be a PM.In my present new role (Product Life-cycle Management), I was involved in a lot of mini- projects and I believed that PMI guidelines could be of immense help in executing those projects. Also, because of the present market conditions, I wanted to consolidate, strengthen my present position in my company and to standout from the crowd.

My preparation

Initiation: I started my casual preparation in July' 09 going through the various online trainings available on my company's training portal. This continued till mid Nov'09 when I registered with PMI.I bought the book Andy Crowe- How to Pass the PMP on your first try on 14th Nov'09. This was one of the best decisions that I had taken. Initially I had gone to Landmark Book store to buy Rita Mulcahy, but it was far too costly, so I decided to stick to Andy Book.

Planning: I chalked out a plan of action as follows:

  1. Obtain the relevant PDU's from the online courses.
  2. Apply with the relevant credentials to PMI
  3. Attend for a 4-day PMP bootcamp
  4. Schedule exam

Execution: I started going thorough Andy Book from mid Nov till Feb 09. I must say that I was focussed and went through each and every word of the book. The exercises made me analyze the various options before I answered (for the 1st time). Then I purchased the Rita's book on 1st Mar 09 and stared going through it for the 1st time. It was pretty good, but I would certainly score Andy over Rita. I completed my first pass through both the books before my bootcamp classes. I attended the PMTI Bootcamp in Delhi between 23rd April 26th April. It was very well structured and I solved approx 500+ exercises during the 4 day-period.



Monitoring & Control: I had a week's time after my PMP Classes and before my exam date. I intented to attempt as many mock tests as possible and revise the lessons that I had already learned.



My schedule was as follows:

Tue-28th April 09: Revise Rita - (completed), PMBOK- (not completed), PMBOK, Q&A-200 questions (completed)

Wed-29th April09: Revise Andy- (completed), Andy 200 Q&A- (completed)

Thu-30th April 09: Kim Heldman 200Q&A- (partially completed), Mock test from PMStudy-(completed)

Fri-1st May 09: Mock test from Headfirst(completed), Oliver Lehman-75 Q&A- (completed), Delegation by Vijay Verma- (completed)

Sat-2nd May 09: PMTI notes- (completed)

Sun-3rd May 09: PMBOK- chapters 1,2,3, Scope, Risk & Glossary (completed)

Monday-4th May 09: Final revision(completed)

* I had prepared my notes from Andy, Rita which had Input, Tools & Technique and Output (ITO), which I used to revise almost everyday, esp the ITTO's without memorising them.


** Page 70 of PMBOK is very important and I had learnt it by heart. It took me 4-5 minutes to reproduce it and I did the same in my Final exam during the 15 min practise test.

1 comment:

  1. The Best Slot Sites of 2021 - Poker News Guides
    We 메이저벳 break down the best slots 다이 사이 sites from the list below, including melbet our overall slot selection and 라이브스코어 their bonus 온라인바카라사이트 offers.

    ReplyDelete